Thursday, July 05, 2012

Google Nexus Tablet and Android Jelly Bean

So the last few years have seen me go almost entirely Mac. It started innocently enough when I got one of the 1st generation unibody MacBook Pros where I naively believed I was just going to screw with OS X long enough to get a feel for it before loading up a boot camp windows install to get some actual work done. Needless to say that didn’t happen. One of these days I think I am going to sit down and write out exactly what it is about the Mac OS that has captured me so.

However the recent announcement from google about a $200 tablet they are selling direct to the public along with their latest Android system sparked my attention enough to plunk some money down for a pre-order. I have a couple of things I think I will use it for… namely a potential GPS/Music system for my car since there just is not a decent mounting solution for an iPad due to its size. But honestly I got it because I had the money available at the time to satisfy my curiosity… and this is the first android device that has made me curious enough to plunk some money down. Why is that?

Conceptually I like Android far more than I like iOS. However it has been seriously hampered in the market place by carriers that insist on skinning the interface and then refusing to push out updates as google improves the OS. Additionally google had a fundamental problem with the display just not being terribly responsive compared to iOS devices which is extremely frustrating on a touch based device. So the fact Google is directly selling the device means it will get updates when they are released… and one of the major accomplishments of Jelly Bean is to make the display/interface as smooth as ‘butter’. This along with a lot of the interesting things they are doing with maps (offline google maps AT LAST) and searching (google now) intrigues me enough that I want to check this device out.

Stay tuned for one of my long winded hands on thoughts articles once this new piece of Mountain View goodness lands on my doorstep.

No comments: