Sunday, December 03, 2017

Traditions: 3, 2, 1 Tea

Being Southern means having an opinion about your tea. Most of us seem to tilt towards sweet but not all. Lemon? Hmmm getting into interesting territory. Hot or cold? Thems fighting words.

So... what happens when a Southerner such as myself marry’s someone British?

Well for me it added a new element to my take on the Southern tradition. 3, 2, 1 tea is about the tea bags I use and why.

Three:
3 single bags of PG Tips black tea. It’s my wife’s “Cuppa” choice and well known across the Atlantic where the hot mug of tea rules. I have tried them multiple times and it just doesn’t work to well for me. That said when in Rome (well London really) I enjoy my cuppa when offered. With a little milk please. Warm tea goes with the weather there. Not so much in the South. It added a good strong hit of flavor I can’t describe... but I like it. When it is cold at least.

Two:
2 family sized Lipton Ice Tea bags. It’s the tea I largely grew up on. When they launched the bags specifically for making ice tea it made it a lot easier to avoid getting bitter tea if you cooled it to fast. Least that is the theory. Real or not it is the bag I graivitated to once I moved out on my own and became responsible for stocking my own tea. I did have a detour where I blasphemed and bought my tea (Milo’s if you must know) but I have recovered since and am now again one with the faith of self respecting southerners :-). One weakness of Lipton.. and of ice tea in general to be honest... is a lack of flavor. I see the Lipton now as the base. These are the big quart sized bags.

One:
1 small tea bag of constant comet. This is for Dad who was ever fiddling with his tea mixture and in particular I remember him adding constant comet and getting that hint of orange. I liked it and it reminds me of him in the kitchen forever in search of whatever it was he was looking for in his tea.

Steps:


  1. Boil water in kettle... 1- 1.5 liters. Yes Liters. I got a plug in kettle for Suzie her first trip over. Very useful things. 
  2. Put sugar amount of choice for gallons of tea in jug. For me I am now at 2/3 - 1 cup which is way down from the 2+ of my youth. 
  3. Put bags on top of sugar. I used to fiddle with twining it all together on the strings. Now I just pull the strings off and toss the bags in. You have to fish out the PG tips bags anyway...
  4. Once kettle pops pour over and stir. Don’t wait. If water cools even for a few seconds hit the button again and pay attention. I joke... but only a little bit. Black tea and water at or as close as humanly possible to boiling temp is important. 
  5. Let steep... at least 15 minutes but I have left it on the counter for an hour or more with no real ill effects.
  6. Add water to fill jug... try to avoid bubbles. Stir while adding if possible. 
  7. Let cool on counter... do NOT put in fridge immediately or thou mayest endeth up with cloudy tea... no soup for you... wait... no tea for you... better. 
    1. If you really want that first cup you can pour over ice at your own risk... normally comes out to weak but you gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. 
  8. Put in fridge and wait for it to reach maximum chill 
  9. Add to glass with epic portions of ice... don’t forget to squeeze your lemon slice and put it in the glass BEFORE the ice. You have been warned. 
  10. Enjoy your nice refreshing glass of 3, 2, 1 tea ala Southern tradition meets British style. 

*Author is not responsible for any addictions that may arise from consumption of 3,2,1 tea. And yes... Suzie likes it. Don’t let her tell you otherwise as she is often conflicted about her slow conversion to Southern life. At least one other person from Europe has praised it as... well it translated literally into the reproductive organs of a canine.  However, I was assured was a good thing. If it wasn’t he drank an awful lot of it in an attempt to be polite.

No comments: