Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Google, Adsense, it makes sense

I have put up the Adsense code and found that adjusted for inflation, my two cents are actually worth 31 cents !!!. Hey its more money than I had before I put it up and that is always a good thing.

If you blog or run a website and have wondered about adsense then you should take the time to try it out. The setup can be as unobtrusive, or in your face, as you want it to be. If you understand enough HTML to mess with your own website you have no excuse for not putting an adsense snipet in there somewhere. If you are using Blogger, like I am, the template tinkering is actually pretty easy. Once it is in place it is very easy to set up your account information with adsense and have any money made deposited direct to your bank account.

I would like to see a bit more flexibility in ad sizing as that is the thing I found most difficult to balance with my layout. However, that would have been far less of an issue if I wasn't relying on the blogger template.

The potential power of this system for distributing ad money to individuals is exciting. Think of it this way. There are billions spent each year on getting ads in front of people. However the money for getting those ads seen is funnled into a few places like TV stations, or newspaper owners. The advent of the web has de-centralized information dispersal and it is only a matter of time till ad revenue starts splintering out accordingly. So instead of the ad money trickling down from say a newpaper to an individual reporter, this allows money to be funneld directly from the ad creator to the content producer that is going to move the ad in front of someone. Like a popular columnist, a highly rated sitcom etc... Only instead of nielson ratings that are based on a select few it is now disperesed on a per click (succesfull end to advertisement) based on the proximity to the person that drew the attention in the first place. In short a very democratic system. With the targeting (ads placed near relavent content) ad servers to the millions of content providers on the web there is no lag. No waiting for nielson ratings, it is a constant shuffle of where people are and the money follows along with them. And hey, it just might let me make some money on the side as I rant about what I want to rant about.

So really you ought to give it a whirl if you are in the habit of creating content online. I may have even created a new tagline... Google Adsense, it makes sense.

1 comment:

Ahmad Faiz Besah said...

be careful with google invalid click. They just sending me out after two month operate adsense just because of invalid click. I don't know with click is consider as invalid since I never click my own advertisement. After i nearly reach USD100.00.

Visit my blog at IT for All